We’re experiencing an extraordinarily early spring in Joburg, and with the change of season comes… the common cold! The children are feeling sickly at the moment and what better than a comforting and healthy bowl of soup to help them feel better?
I found this delicious cheesy low-carb broccoli & cauliflower soup recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, and as a bonus it is low carb. I am trying to get back into eating healthily, with less carbs and grains, especially after our recent vacation!
Of course, I had to make the recipe my own by making a few adaptations! I recently bought a box of Woolworths mushroom liquid stock concentrate on special and thought the mushroom flavour would add a lovely meatiness to the soup. To make the recipe a little higher in fats I used cream instead of milk or “half and half”, which we don’t get in South Africa. I also doubled the recipe, but used about 2 1/2 cups of cheese, which still gave the soup a delicious cheesiness but did not make it overly stringy.
If you don’t have a stick blender, do not fear! I use a food processor to puree my soups and find that it works well if I first strain off the liquid before adding the solids to the jug. I then add the liquid until the jug is fairly full and the soup purees easily, adding more liquid as required. If there is still liquid left over I empty the pureed soup back into the pot and give the remaining liquid a quick blitz in the jug before adding it back in the pot. Voila!
Adding the steamed broccoli at the end is highly recommended! I love to use our bamboo steamer for steaming broccoli to al dente, I wish we had more broccoli for this, it definitely is the cherry on the top of this yummy soup.
As mentioned previously, I doubled Kalyn’s recipe. If you prefer you can halve the recipe, I just prefer to freeze leftover soup for a quick meal when I don’t have the time or don’t feel like cooking!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 3 tubes Woolworths mushroom liquid stock concentrate
- 3 cups boiling water
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese + extra for garnish
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed pot fry the onion in the coconut oil on a medium heat until it starts to lightly brown
- Add the garlic and thyme and fry until fragrant
- Add the mushroom liquid stock concentrate, boiling water and vegetable stock, along with the chopped broccoli and cauliflower, stir to combine, and bring to the boil
- Simmer on medium low heat for about 20 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower are really tender
- Puree the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor blender jug
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the cheese. Be careful not to let the soup boil or the cheese will separate, which is not very attractive but is still completely edible!
- Stir in the cream
- Steam the broccoli florets until they are bright green and al dente
- Stir the broccoli florets into the soup
- Season to taste
- Serve garnished with grated cheese