Spghetti pomodoro is intended to be a quick light dish, and this one is full of tomato goodness. It is basically spaghetti tossed with three types of tomatoes – whole peeled, cherry and sundried with crispy bacon, sweet basil, garlic and topped with corriander.
- Spaghetti pasta
- Can of whole, peeled tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 6 sundried tomatoes
- 4-6 slices of back bacon diced or slices
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil for frying
- Handful of basil leaves chopped finely or (1 tablespoon dried sweet basil)
- Couple of sprigs corriander leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta in boiling water per packet instructions
- Heat up some oil in a pan and fry the bacon with some finely chopped garlic and half the basil
- When almost crispy, add the cherry tomatoes and heat till they start to blister
- Remove from pan and keep warm
- Add the can of whole tomatoes to the hot pan and roughly break into pieces
- When the sauce starts to bubble, add the rest of the basil, sundried tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes back to the pan
- When heated through, take off the heat, add the bacon, season to taste and top off with the corriander.
By now the pasta is also ready, drain and serve with the tomato sauce. Add some chilli flakes and grated parmesan (optional).