It’s the middle of the month and the pennies are tight. Our fridge has all kinds of leftover bits and pieces from the weekend and we were stuck for quick 15-minute dinner ideas.
In the fridge we had a handful or two of baby spinach leaves, a bunch of coriander leaves, half a green pepper, some alfalfa sprouts, an avocado, parmesan cheese and a small jar of dressing left over from the polenta crusted chicken caesar salad I made over the weekend.
So I went scratching through the freezer and found some tortilla wraps. These would go perfectly with all the vegies. Now I just needed a protein that was quick to defrost and that the kids would still enjoy. My eyes fell on a half a box of fish fingers. A perfect light-bulb moment.
So without further ado, fun (for the kids) fish finger wraps done in 15 minutes.
Ingredients (for those who like lists)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 4 sprigs (or a small bunch) of coriander leaves
- half a green pepper
- 4 pinches of alfalfa sprouts (more to taste)
- 1 diced avocado
- 8 slices of parmesan cheese
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- dressing of your choice or some sweet-chili sauce
- about 12 (or more) frozen fish fingers
- 4 tortilla wraps
Dressing – leftover from an earlier dish
- 2 tsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 40g parmesan cheese
- 4 anchovy filets
- 4 tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp red vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and place everything in a food processor and process.
- turn the oven on full whack and set to the grill and bake setting
- spread out the fish fingers on a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes
- meanwhile roughly chop your baby spinach leaves
- dice your avocado, tomatoes and green pepper and divide into four equal heaps
- heat up each individual wrap on a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds (45 if you like it hot)
- 5 minutes would have passed by now, so turn your oven down to 220 degrees C and set to bake
- slice the parmesan cheese into 8 shavings
- after 5 minutes, turn the oven on to the grill and bake setting and turn it down to 200 degrees C
- add the parmesan shavings to the baking tray (with the fish fingers) to melt until golden crisps (it will crisp up while cooling down)
- start assembling your wraps by spreading about a tablespoon full of the dressing, sweet chili sauce or any other sauce (mayo works well too) in a strip on the wrap
- top with the shredded baby spinach leaves, avo, tomato and green pepper as well as a sprig of coriander,
- sprinkle with some alfalfa sprouts
- by now the fish fingers and parmesan crisps are done (15 minutes total), line 3 fish fingers on top of the veggies and place 2 of the parmesan crisps on top
- roll and fold tightly, slice each wrap in half and marvel as the kids devour everything and ask for seconds
This recipe served 2 adults and 2 kids and can be prepared as a lunchtime snack or a fuss-free dinner. Works equally well with chicken or beef.