There are a few flavours I will always associate with my childhood, and my Mom’s home made mint sauce served with a roast leg of lamb is one of them. Nothing beats that tangy, sweet and minty flavour! For me, the only way to serve roast lamb is with a mint sauce, and the stuff you buy at the shops cannot compare to this recipe!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup grape vinegar
- 1/2 bottle (50 ml) dried mint
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- Add the sugar and vinegar to a small pot
- Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over a medium heat
- Add the mint and boil gently for about 5 minutes
- Scoop in the apricot jam, stir to combine and boil gently again for about 5 minutes
- Adjust to taste by adding more vinegar if too sweet
- Bottle, cool and refrigerate
The consistency should be pretty runny, however if you prefer a more jam-my consistency you can boil the sauce for longer at Step 4. You could also add chopped fresh mint with the dried mint to the sugar and vinegar mixture in Step 3.