Any self-respecting South African knows that a braai should never be attempted without a good serving of pap.
For the non-South Africans, pap is basically a maize porridge best served with a tomato and onion gravy.
Below is an easy pap recipe for your next braai. We normally use the Premier Traditional Coarse Braai Pap as it has proven to give us the best results without fail.
You can pick these up at your local Spar or Pick ‘n Pay.
- 1 lt water
- 5ml salt
- 500ml traditional braai pap
- bring water and salt to the boil in a large pot
- Add pap
- stir and cover with lid
- Reduce heat and simmer for 40mins, stirring occasionally
- Add another 125ml cold water to pap
- simmer over low heat for another 30mins
This recipe serves 4-6.
One last note. You’re almost assured that the bottom of the pap will burn a crust in the pot, don’t stress, this is quite normal and does not influence the taste negatively. Some would say that this is the best bit, served with a bit of butter and golden syrup/sugar. Yumm.